Donnerstag, 1. November 2007

Family in Washington DC

My husband lived in US for 5 years when he was a child. I have been heard that he has an another family in US who he got to know from those days. It's our first trip together to US and we decided to visit the family together. I was really looking forward to it.

As we arrived at Union station, Liz and Hal are waiting for us and they welcomed my husband like a real son. They also welcomed me very warmly. They've known me from my blog and from the photo online but it was the moment we finally met.

IMGP3324.JPG

I already enjoyed "culture differece" in New York but here, by spending time with real American family, I again enjoyed American atmosphere. When we arrived at their home, entire of the family were their. Laura, the daughter of Liz and Hal, her husband Mike, their 4 weeks old baby Elizabeth. Tom, a son of Liz and Hal, his wife Tuende. Their friend Lin and a sister of Liz, Herren were also there. They all welcomed us except dog. Dog obviously didn't like me and acting strange.

IMGP3333.JPG

Hal with a dog who didn't like me at the end. Hal said she is protecting her master from young woman:)

IMGP3330.JPG

Laura and Mike and their lovely daughter. She is in cow sweater which is our gift from Switzerland. They showed me very good example of teamwork for baby works.

Dinner was very cozy. At first, I was a bit puzzeled by this English speaking dining situation. Of course, I speak English much better than German, but whenever I greet new people and dine, it's all done in German these days. I understand all the conversation but somehow I could't jump into the conversation. I think I got used to German-speaking dining too much, where I speak less and try to hear hard.
But observing and listening to the conversation was a lot of fun. (while I understand everything compared to the German one!). Oh, I love this American family scene. It was like watching a TV series. So warm, heartful and funny that how they use slangs. When I hear words such as "jerking around", I really feel that I'm in US. In Europe, many people speak English but no one use American slangs. And slang sounds very cute when person like Liz say, who is very charming and attractive.

We have been provided one bed room, stayed a night here and on the next day traveled to Virginia where family owns second house.

I will experience another side of US there.

Keine Kommentare: