Sonntag, 20. Januar 2008

Nabe Party

It's my second winter in Switzerland.. This year, I will hold "Nabe Party" at home. Last night, my wish came true for first time!

NABE PARTY

NABE. It's the most important and popular dinner for Japenese during winter. It's like Fondue Cinois is Switzerland. You share one big pan in the middle of the table. As a Japanese, winter without having nabe is unsatisfying.

It was our honor to invite our good friends for first Nabe party at our apartment. In order to have succesful Nabe party, I even requested new table to my husband!!

NABE PARTY

As you see, real Nabe atmosphere is completed with low table. You sit on the floor around the table. Well, Nabe pan is not the real one in Japan which is made by cray but this is the best I could organize at the moment. It also works well.

So what you cook in Nabe? Well, almost anything. I bought some Japanese stuff such as varieties of Tofu in Asian restaurant. Vegetables can be purchased in normal supermarket. Asian cabbage, Shiitake, long radish, carrots. We also bought shrimps, chickens and slices of porks. You cook these ingredients one by one on the table.

NABE PARTY

Nabe is not only good and helthy but also gives you cozy time with others. While you are sharing warm pan together, it's difficult to discuss or argue. Without realizing, you relax and enjoy peaceful time.
Above, two Swiss man enjoying conversation nabe in between.
Thanks to my girl friend who brought special Nabe soup from Japan. It's a soy milk soup which recently became popular in Japan.

Conversation was a mixture of Japanese, English, German and Swiss German. When we talk about something which we don't want to be heard by men, we used Japanese. How pratical Japanese is!:)

NABE PARTY

Dessert was also great, it was beautiful Tiramisu brought by my girl friend. I instantly had to ask her reciept. In this Swiss culture, where you often invite and being invited for dinner, it is important to know some good reciepts of desserts. With her, we like to share information!

NABE PARTY

So the cozy night went on. Nabe, Tiramisu, green tea.. it couldn't be better. We like to take photo of our guests on the couch, in front of Godzilla's art. It's a first photo of our guests with new couch! We bought even new couch together with the table.
Between my girl friend and I, the dinner yesterday was "new year party". We Japanese say first gathering in January as "new year party" no matter how late it is. It was indeed very succesful kick off with them!

1 Kommentar:

Rosarinho hat gesagt…

hello!
I am Rosario, I am portuguese, and in the completely opposite direcction as you, I am living in Japan, and when I was trying to find "How Nabe pots work" I found your website. I am enjoying very much reading about your experiences.
If you want to visit me I'm in:
www.terradosolnascente.blogspot.com the only problem, is that, I write in Portuguese :)