Freitag, 4. Januar 2008

Müstair

Lüsai, where our family is now spending winter holiday is locating on about 15 min away by the car from this town. Müstair is not really known town compared to the other cities as tourist place but it's a very important place in Switzerland. The monastery here is registered as world heritage and said Müstair is one of the best known Carolingian monasteries. I visited this world treasure on snowy day.

Munstair

Munstair

I had to hold my breathe when I stood in front of the monastery. It was there, standing with the back ground of snow mountain very calm,,,, but imagine, for 1200 years.

Munstair

It's constructed very simple, not fancy at all. It reflects pure worthshipfulness of Christians in those days.

Munstair

I had to freeze again upon I went inside.. The beautiful wall paint was decorating the inside of this simple monastery.

Munstair

Munstair

all the way up to the ceiling.

It said that around 800 the interior of the monastery was painted completely. You could also see the panting of "return of Christ" and "the last Judgment". The painting is in a row and tell story in clockwise direction. I really had to wonder how this amazing work has been done in old days.

Munstair

We also went into the museum where we could find out more about the convent and the life style of nuns.

Munstair

What surprised me the most is these bedrooms.

Munstair

It's like a small cell with very small bed. Were they that small? It's like a bed for a child. There is a hole on the door, no privacy. I was wearing thick coat but even so, I was freeing. How you could sleep in such an ice cold room...

Munstair

There is a small bench where you can overview the scenery outside. Did nuns chat here?

Munstair

inside court.

Munstair

There is a room with full of sunshine as well. It's locating on the top of "winter choir room".

Munstair

with beautiful rose painting on the ceiling.

Munstair

Convent life of course exixst today. It's said "The sisterhood of St. John lives in accordance with the rhythm of sessions of prayer, reading, silent contemplation and labor. Under the directions of a prioress, the nuns' activities are concerned with the convent household, the gardens and embroidery".Munstair

Two nuns passed by while I was in museum. Both showed me very warm smile..

I could never be a Christian but I deeply respect nuns and other true religious people who devote their life to god. These people are very strong to stick to what they believe in. (I don't agree with religious war though). Benedict called the monastery "a school where one learns to serve the Lord".

Munstair

Here, a small community has been praying and working accordance with the rule of St. Benedict for 1200 years. During the visit of Monastery, I felt as the time went back to ancient days. I felt the weight of great European history.

2 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

very nice article!

Johannes hat gesagt…

Hi, I've just discovered your blog - I don't speak Japanese but a little Chinese - 我会说汉语。。。but my mother tongue is Romansh, I was born in Müstair in 1947! Well, I discovered your husband's photos on Google Maps about Lüsai/Lü.
Kind regards, Hans/Johannes