Montag, 28. Mai 2007

Lovely Romanians

I just came back from 4 days trip to Romania. Well, hard to decide where to write from.. It was my first visit to Romania. When we arrived at Otpeni Airport, I soon felt big differences from other countries in Europe. Maybe a little bit similar to Greece but more not exactly same. We tool a taxi and went to the city of Bucharest. Friendly taxi driver was keep explaining us about Romania, what is worth to see and often pointed out the places which is important. My husband start negotiating to have him as our whole day driver. I was sitting next him, thinking maybe this taxi driver will ask us an incredible price. He showed us a Hotel Mariott, where the best hotel in the city and told us there is a good outside cafe to sit down. My husband again asked him to wait for us and be our guide for a day but he simply told us we could catch taxi everywhere and don't need to keep him for a day. Charges was normal, even though he showed us a lot. I was quite impressed. He could try anything to make money from us, the tourist even doesn't have a guide book together. But he didn't. Cafe was beautiful. Then we walked through the city and saw people and lives. I didn't see any single Asian face. Then I realized what make this country look different than other. It's people. Of course Asian is not familiar to them and they look at me. But the way they look is not offensive at all. Something mixture of curiosity and friendliness. To be honest, city is big but maybe the most poor city "in terms of capital" I have ever seen. Walls are falling off from house, streets are rough and big house burnt during revolution are remained as it is. But people are all satisfied and friendly. You can get this feeling in other big cities such as Tokyo, Paris or Hong Kong. IMGP1675 My thought was proved when we arrived at the airport of Siceavina where countryside of Romania. Our propeller flight arrived on the land where no gate, no nothing, small airport like train station. It was almost 11 o'clock in the night and we suppose to have a pick up. However, he didn't show up. The airport is indeed MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!! I see lights of town far away but otherwise nothing. Just the bugs and frogs are singing in the fields. Airport is start closing and we were at lost outside. There, Romania gatekeeper tried to help us showing the place of phone and giving us the number of Taxi company even he doesn't understand a word of us. He approach us many time to help us out. We waited for our driver for another half an hour in silence, darkness. All of the sudden came mini bus. 5 or 6 people were there, one dressed like police, one woman is almost like pajama and others were T-shirts. I was first little bit frightened. One got off from the bus, who speaks perfect English and he asked us what is wrong. We explained him a situation and asked him to call a taxi. Then he suggested us to pick up one from the city which is much cheaper and fasted and offered us a ride to the city. We got on the bus, and when we arrived at the city, taxi was already arranged and waiting for us. We thanked him a lot and thought of paying to him but he just said "that's nothing" and left. This taxi driver is also super friendly, doesn't say too much but trust worthy. He made it clear how much it will be for a ride in beginning. Maybe I had already many bad experiences in countries such as Italy, Hungary or France so alway being suspicious. But here in Romania, man doesn't speak too much but sincere. Every Romanian I met during the stay was all very friendly. The family cooked for us really liked me and gave me a kiss specially. Young sister in church also gave me a lovely, wandering eyes and showed me affection. Very honestly, I'm a spoiled Tokyo girl in terms of traveling. Over all experience, such as food and accommodation was not that easy. But I want to return there again to meet these super kind people. What make the trip most comfortable is people in surrounding. Romania will not disappoint you. My last contact with Romanian man was at Duty Free Shop at the airport but he also showed me a lovely smile when I said "MULTUMESC" (thank you) IMGP1666

2 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

"big house burnt during revolution"
nonono- the truth is different - this building was used for a horror movie (Mirrors), "impersonating" a burning New York city mall. They said they will clean the black paint...

yucocktail hat gesagt…

Thank you for your explanation! I didn't know that at all!! Exactly which film was it used? I really want to check that out!